DID YOU MISS THE DATE? - It’s not too late!
NOTICE OF EXCHANGES
The Affordable Care Act’s (ACA) required all employers to notify all employees by October 1 of the health insurance exchanges that will begin open enrollment as of that date. If you missed the deadline, now is the time to demonstrate good faith by sharing information about the exchanges with your employees now.
Distributing Exchange Notices
- Distributed to ALL employees including part time, full time, enrolled enrolled in group plan, or not enrolled in group plan, eligible or not eligible
- The Model Notice available from the Department of Labor may be used as is or can be modified to remove optional language.
- Distribution must be via First Class Mail or Electronically if DOL Safe Harbor requirements are met.
- If audited, you will be required to show proof of distribution
You may download the appropriate Model Exchange Notice from the DOL website as indicated:
- A Model Notice to Employees of Coverage Options for employers who do not offer a health plan; and (http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/pdf/FLSAwithoutplans.pdf)
- A Model Notice to Employees of Coverage Options for employers who offer a health plan to some or all employees. (http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/pdf/FLSAwithplans.pdf)
Who must be given notices?
Exchange notices must be given to both new hires and current employees as follows:
- New Hires – Employers must provide the notice to each new employee at the time of hire beginning October 1, 2013. For 2014, the notice must be provided within 14 days of the employee’s start date.
- Current Employees – All current employees must be provided the notice
Contributed by Christine Crews, SPHR, is Vice President of Human Resource Services for the Employers Association Forum, Inc. (EAF). EAF is a non-profit corporate membership-based association dedicated to serving the business and HR communities with world-class HR tools, hotlines & legal compliance, news & trends, surveys & economic data, benefits & insurance, risk management, training & consulting, and leadership & organizational development. www.eafinc.org or [email protected].